PTO or a Paid Time Off programs that combined vacation and sick leave into one bucket of time off was the trend for many years. Transitioning from a Sick/Vacation plan to a PTO has its complications, but proper planning and communication will ensure its success.
On the other hand, due to mandatory paid sick leave laws, many organizations are considering moving away from PTO back to a Sick/Vacation plan. Ten states require paid sick leave. Eighteen states will pass new legislation soon to require businesses to offer paid sick leave to employees. Other states will follow suit in the next year or so and a Federal Law requiring paid sick leave seems to be getting closer and closer to being passed.
In addition to state laws, many municipalities also require paid sick leave. Do you have a Federal Contract? If so, you are required to have a sick leave policy. Do you have a contract with a municipality? If so, have you checked to see if you have to offer paid sick leave?
With the passage of these laws, PTO may become obsolete as many states require payment of unused PTO upon termination, however the same states do not require payment of unused sick leave.
In this webinar, we will be reviewing the transition from a Sick/Vacation policy to a PTO policy as well as making the transition from a PTO plan to a Sick/Vacation plan.
- Gaining an understanding of the various states and municipalities mandating paid sick leave
- Understanding the good points and not so good points about both types of paid leave
- Learning how to do a cost benefits analysis on both types of paid leave
- Learn what to look for when planning the change
- Effectively communicating change that is critical to the success of the change of your program
- Developing a plan of action to ensure all bases are covered.
Why Should You Attend?
- With the above described legislation, changes must be made to time off policies.
- Multi-State employers need to know what the compliance requirements are – by the way, each state and municipality have different rules for accrual of sick leave and the reasons they can be used.
- Under the mandatory paid sick leave, abuse will become a huge problem – how will your organization deal with it.
- Compliance is not difficult if you know what you are doing.
- Current Mandatory Paid Sick Leave Laws in place.
- A review of pending legislation.
- A comparison of PTO policies vs. Sick/Vacation
- Conducting a cost-benefit analysis for both plans
- Planning for change
- Communication the change
- Action Items for participants
Who will benefit?
- Human Resources Professionals
- Payroll administrators
- Benefits Professionals
- Business Managers
- Business Owners
Bob McKenzie has over 40 years of human resources management experience. His background includes a wide range of hands-on experience in all HR practices.Bob has been cited in a number of Human Resources trade publications. Among them are HR.com, HR Magazine, HR Florida Review, Vault.com, BNA and the Institute of Management and Administration and the Business Journals. He has been a speaker at a number of conferences as well as audio and web-based seminars.Bob recently received two prestigious awards for his service to the community and his profession. Entrepreneurial Anchor Magazine presented him with the “Man of Steel” award for …