Can the U.S. Work Without the FDA?

Industry: FDA Compliance        Added By: 247Compliance        Posted On: June 28, 2019

blog_img

Time and again, we have come across the word FDA, whenever we see any financial or regulatory compliance that needs to mentor or manage legal issues for our organization or likewise. FDA, which is short for the Food and Drug Administration, is the regulatory body that overviews and calls the important legal obligations administering the food and pharma industries in the U.S. If you own a drug store or probably if you are a pharmaceutical brand on your own, it is important for you to keep a regular track of the drugs, its ingredients, also the package and labeling. 

But, what happens if you don't comply? What is the FDA regulatory compliance? Why is it so important to comply with the FDA? What are the consequences if we do not comply with the FDA? Is there any other regulatory body apart from the FDA? What happens if there exists no FDA? This article answers a lot of such questions that have now become quite common, considering the way the FDA works. Let's take a look.

Major responsibilities that the FDA encompasses include governing drugs, their side-effects, the packaging and labeling of the drugs, its ingredients, etc. Various categories, which come under the FDA that regulates one or more important commodity, are affected deliberately and directly by the FDA and regulate the health care services amongst the general public. The FDA holds the power to improvise and change the standards concerning the constituents of the drugs and its effects on the people. However, this can be quite stifling sometimes as some regulations are often exaggerating and unwantedly forceful to the people who need to be treated urgently. The FDA collects the research data from a company and analyzes the benefits and the risk that comes along with the usage of the drugs. If the inspected data shows even a teeny-tiny certainty of the unwarranted side-effects, the FDA holds its regulation as a drug in the public.

This coherent ruling power of the FDA is seen reckless by some companies, as well as some individuals, suffering from life-threatening diseases in the U.S., as they never get to decide or choose if they can consume the drug, considering the risks and side-effects of the drug. It can also be conferred that, a drug that might be harmful to 90 percent of the population may actually turn out to be fruitful and effective for the rest 10 percent of the population. However, the FDA takes eons and eons to conclude if the drug should be regulated for the use or not, thus killing dozens of people suffering and waiting to make their own choices. There are certain diseases that are rare and the drugs which can treat them. However, acknowledging the fact that the disease is rare, the FDA denies the examining part over this drug, irrespective of the viable effects and the drug never reaches the market. Even if the examinations and the evaluations were still to be considered, it might take years and years for the FDA to approve it. 

Apart from this, in a country like the U.S., everybody makes their own choice, be it professional or personal; making a choice over the requirement of a drug to save a life cannot be seen as a problem. The private companies or some doctors might comply with this fact. When we think about the possibility of another entity that could replace the FDA, several private firms can find their ways to influence the market with their own Physicians and Private Doctors, and of course, their own "Price Tags". The crucial question that one should be asking in this situation is whether these private firms will be as stringent as the FDA in evaluating and scrutinizing their own manufactured drug over time? Would it be really effective in treating people even after it reaches them? Or is it still going to be the way the FDA works or even worse? Nonetheless, a possibility that one can't deny is the wide and advanced availability of the drug to the public with an even wider amount of choices being available to them.

It is true that the FDA imparts security, but it cannot be ignored that in this process it takes thousands, or in the worst case, millions of lives. However, when looked at a wider picture, the FDA restricts the use or delays the deliverability of the drugs because it guarantees the safety and security concerns revolving around the drug. The evaluations and inspections conducted by the FDA are at par and probably at a level that no other entity would make up to "What and How" the FDA works. But what if the people consider the security and risks of the drugs themselves? Chances are, they will become more careful and conscious considering their own health choices and drug risk also creating their and other awareness. The power that the FDA holds to be considered valid is a never-ending debate. Evidently, considering various diverse options as discussed is not a bad idea either.