This 60 minute webinar will discuss the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and distinguish the important differences between it and the California Family Rights Act (CFRA) and Pregnancy Disability Leave. It is vital that employers who conduct business in California or have employees in California be aware of the important differences, which can result in heavy fines for non compliance for the employer.
- Discuss the Family Medical Leave Act
- Provide a general overview of carious California state laws such as California Family Rights Act (CFRA), California Fair Employment and Housing Act (CA-FEHA) and Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL)
- Provide a comparison between the FMLA and the California state laws
- Discuss HR’s Role in managing leaves of absence in California.
Why Should You Attend?
Though the laws are similar, there are important differences. It is important that employer understand the laws relating to “Managing Medical Leave in California.: California is known as having various employment laws related to medical leaves of absence that are often more generous than federal employment laws. Compliance is very important for companies with employees in California because of the liabilities for noncompliance can be costly from legal, employee relation and employer brand.
The important differences will be discussed in this session. Tips for compliance and identification of potential non- compliance areas will be discussed. It is vital that supervisors and managers are also trained.
- Compliance with California Family Rights Act (CFRA)
- Compliance with Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL) )
- Comparison of the California state laws and FMLA)
- Understanding the intersection of this federal law and the two state laws)
- HR’s role in managing FMLA and California state laws
Who will benefit?
- HR professionals
- Training and development managers.
- HR professionals.
- Line managers.
- Leave managers.
- HR generalists.
- HR business partners.
- Manager and supervisors of employees in California.
Deborah Covin Wilson, CPLP SHRM-SCP, SPHR, is the keynote speaker at ComplianceKey. She is the recently retired director of organizational development and consulting services, a unit in human resources administration at Georgia State University. With more than 25 years in higher education, she was responsible for training, employee engagement programs, strategic planning, HR communications, and organization development services. Deborah was involved in several University System of Georgia Board of Regents initiatives: She served as chair of the Tuition Assistance Program committee, a member of the Executive Leadership Institute Advisory Committee, and a steering committee member of the Accelerated Leadership Academy.Deborah …